An original homemade vanilla ice-cream recipe, made without the use of eggs. Note that ice creams made with an electric ice cream maker are prepared somewhat differently, and the manufacturer's directions should be followed.
2 tbsp custard powder
2 cups (500 ml) milk
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) 100 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
125 ml (4 fl oz) double cream (heavy cream)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1. Blend the custard powder with a little of the milk.
2. Heat the remaining milk to boiling point and pour on to the blended mixture.
3. Return to the pan and simmer, stirring all the time, until the mixture thickens.
4. Add the sugar, cover, leave to go cold
5. When cold. Whip the cream until semi stiff.
6. Add the cold custard and vanilla essence.
7. Turn into a suitable container
8. Chill until thoroughly cold, cover closely and half freeze
9. Beat the mixture well. Re-freeze until firm; label and store.
174 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!