Preparation time 20 minutes,
Cooking time 50 minutes,
Calories 480 per portion
3 tablespoons oil
575 g (1 1/4 lb) boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 - 2 teaspoons chilli powder
25 g (1 oz) plain flour
50 g (2 oz) desiccated coconut
50 g (2 oz) ground almonds
450 ml (3/4 pint) chicken stock
450 g (1 lb) tomatoes, peeled and quartered
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper
chopped fresh coriander to garnish
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the chicken cubes on all sides. Remove from the pan.
2. Cook the onion, garlic and pepper in the oil until soft. Stir in the garam masala, chilli powder and flour and cook gently for 5 minutes.
3. Add the coconut, almonds, chicken stock and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
4. Add the chicken and lemon juice to the pan, season to taste and continue cooking for a further 20 minutes.
5. Garnish the curry with coriander and serve with rice and a tomato and onion salad.
Fresh coriander leaves look similar to flat-leaved parsley, but taste completely different. When buying, look for roots which are left on coriander, not on parsley.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!