An important ingredient in Mexican cooking is chorizo, a spicy smoked sausage, which is an optional extra in this vegetable pizza. There are over 100 regional varieties from Mexico and Spain.
Preparation time : 30 minutes,
Cooking time : 35-40 minutes,
Oven : Preheat to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6),
Calories per serving: 460
serves 4 - 6
12 oz (350 g) wholemeal flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 oz (25 g) butter
1 medium egg
6 fl oz (175 ml) skimmed milk
for the topping
2 small fresh red or green chillies
1 small sweet green pepper
1 red onion
1 clove garlic
2 oz (50 g) Fontina or Mozzarella cheese
2 oz (50 g) mature Cheddar cheese
1 oz (25 g) smoked Gouda cheese
10 red or yellow cherry tomatoes
3 tablespoons virgin olive oil
6 oz (175 g) chorizo or spicy salami
2 tablespoons shredded fresh coriander
1. For the base, sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl, and tip in the bran remaining in the sieve.
2, Rub in the butter and make a well in the centre of the flour. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and mix it with the skimmed milk. Pour into the flour and mix to form a soft dough. Knead it on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
3. Roll out into a round measuring 12in (300mm) in diameter. Lightly oil a large baking sheet and place the dough in the centre. De-seed the chillies and sweet pepper.
4. Slice the pepper, onion and garlic. Slice the cheeses thinly and cut the tomatoes in half. Arrange the chillies, onion, garlic and pepper on the pizza and sprinkle over 1 tablespoon of oil. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from the Oven and sprinkle all but a small handful of the cheese over the pizza and add the cherry tomatoes. Sprinkle with another tablespoon of the oil and bake for a further 15 minutes.
6. Slice the chorizo into rounds. Remove the pizza and add the rest of the cheese and the chorizo. Sprinkle with the remaining oil. Bake for 5 minutes more. Garnish with coriander and serve.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!