Preparation time: 30 min, plus 1 hr chilling, Cooking time: 15 min, Cals per serving: 765
1 tbsp sunflower oil
3 spring onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
350 g (12 oz) crabmeat
2 tsp tomato ketchup
4 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
50 g (2 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
sliced red chilli and spring onion curls to garnish
for the coating
50 g (2 oz) seasoned flour
1 large egg, beaten
125 g (4 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
vegetable oil for frying
for the chilli mayo
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 lime, juice of and rind finely grated
5 tbsp mayonnaise
1. Heat the oil in a pan, fry the spring onions for 3 minutes, stirring all the time. Remove from the heat, stir in the garlic and chilli, transfer to a large bowl and leave to cool. Add the crabmeat, ketchup, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce and breadcrumbs. Stir until well combined and season.
2. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 12 cakes, place on a baking sheet, cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
3. To coat, dip the cakes into the seasoned flour, then the beaten egg and breadcrumbs. Return to the baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the chilli mayo. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Season, cover and chill.This can be made a day in advance.
5. Heat 2.5cm (1 in) of oil in a pan. Fry the cakes in batches for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove and drain on kitchen paper. Garnish with the sliced chilli and spring onion curls and serve with the Chilli Mayo.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!