Preparation time 10 minutes, plus overnight soaking,
Oven temperature 220°C, 425°F, gas 7,
Calories 165 per 100 g (4 oz) portion lean cooked gammon
1 joint middle or corner of gammon
1.15 litres (2 pints) water
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
100 g (4 oz) soft brown sugar
grated rind of 1 orange
1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 dessert apples
zested orange rind
orange slices to garnish
1. Weigh the gammon and calculate the cooking time, allowing 30 minutes per 450 g (1 lb).
2. Soak the gammon in cold water overnight. Drain.
3. Put the gammon in a saucepan with the water, onion, bay leaf and seasoning. Cover, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Drain the gammon and peel off the skin, marking the fat into diamond shapes with a sharp knife.
4. Mix together the sugar, orange rind, nutmeg and cinnamon for the glaze and rub into the gammon fat. Place joint in a roasting tin.
5. Bake the gammon in a hot oven for the remainder of the calculated cooking time, or until the fat is crisp and golden. Stick the cloves in the apples and place them in the roasting tin for the final 15 minutes cooking time, basting with any meat juices.
6. Garnish with orange slices.
For a delicious sauce with
the gammon, pour a small bottle of ginger ale around the joint before roasting and if liked substitute ground ginger for the spices.
9 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!