Preparation time 15 minutes,
Oven temperature 190°C, 375°F, gas 5,
Calories 185 per 100 g (4 oz) portion lean roast pork
1 leg, loin or shoulder of pork
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon oil
1. The cooking time for a leg or loin of pork is 30 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) plus 35 minutes, or for part of a leg or a shoulder 30 minutes per 450 g (1 lb) plus 35 minutes.
2. Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time.
3. Score the rind of the joint with a sharp knife at 5 mm ( 1/4 in) intervals. Rub salt and pepper into the rind and then brush the oil over.
4. Place the meat, rind side up, on a wire rack standing in a roasting tin and roast in a moderate oven for the time calculated.
5. Check the meat is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre-the juices that emerge should be colourless.
6. Transfer the meat to a hot serving dish and keep warm whilst making the gravy (see Cook's Tip 86)***, but using half vegetable water and half cider, if liked.
7. Serve the pork with apple sauce and roast and boiled vegetables as accompaniments.
To make apple sauce, put sliced apples in a large basin with sugar. Cover and cook on full power for 7 minutes. Beat well and serve in a small dish.
8 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!