Preparation time 10 minutes,
Cooking time 6 - 10 minutes,
Calories 300 per portion
4 medium rump steaks
50 g (2 oz) butter, melted
1 teaspoon prepared English mustard
2 cloves garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
4 firm tomatoes
100 g (4 oz) mushrooms
1 tablespoon chopped parsley, plus a few sprigs
1. Place the steaks on a rack in the grill pan. Mix together the butter, mustard, garlic and seasoning and brush half of the mixture over the steaks.
2. Cook under a hot grill for 1 - 2 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat, turn the steaks over, brush with more butter (reserving some for the garnish ingredients) and cook for a further 1 - 2 minutes.
3. Turn the grill down to a medium heat. Cut a small cross on the top of the tomatoes and arrange the tomatoes and (mushrooms around the steaks. Brush the vegetables with the remaining butter.
4. Continue cooking for 2 minutes on each side for a rare steak, 3 minutes for medium rare, and 4 minutes for well-done steak.
5. Transfer the steaks to a warmed serving plate and sprinkle over the chopped parsley. Add the vegetable garnishes and a few sprigs of parsley to the plate.
6. Serve the steaks immediately, accompanied by Duchesse Potatoes (see recipe 106), broccoli and carrots.
Rump is usually the cheapest grilling or frying steak. It should have a good layer of fat along the edge. Sirloin is dearer and leaner. Fillet steak is very lean and tender but expensive.
151 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!