1. Wash but do not peel the potatoes and carrots, roughly chop.
2. Peel and roughly chop the onions.
3. De string and chop the celery, using tops also.
4. Place in a suitable pan and pour over the water.
5. Season with salt and pepper and add the mixed herbs.
6. Bring to the boil gently and allow to simmer until the vegetables are well cooked.
7. Depending on how you wish to use the stock, either clear or opaque, strain off the liquid, or rub the ingredients through a sieve and add to the liquid.