fat for greasing
6 cups (800 g) 1 3/4 lb cooking (tart) apples
1/3 cup (75 g) 3oz granulated sugar
2 tbsp (30 g) 1 oz soft dark brown sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) Mixed Spice (All Spice / Pumpkin pie spice)
2 oz (50 g) sultanas (golden raisins)
2 oz (50 g) chopped walnuts
icing sugar (confectioners sugar) for dusting
for the pastry
125 g (4 1/2 oz) butter
1/3 cup (75 g) 3oz castor sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
250 g (9 oz) plain flour
2 level tsp (10 ml) baking powder
flour for rolling out
1. Grease an 18 cm (7 inch) loose bottomed cake tin.
2. Set the oven at 190°C (375°F) gas 5.
3. Peel and core the apples. Slice them into a saucepan and add the granulated sugar with 45 ml (3 tbsp) water.
4. Simmer gently until the apples are tender. Cool.
5. Make the pastry. Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the caster sugar and heat gently until dissolved.
6. Cool slightly, then stir in the egg and vanilla essence.
7. Sift in the flour and baking powder and mix to a firm dough.
8. Pinch off about one third of the dough, wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator until firm enough to grate.
9. Roll out the rest of the pastry on a lightly floured surface and line the cake tin.
10. Stir the brown sugar into the cooled apples with the mixed spice, sultanas and walnuts.
11. Spoon the mixture into the pastry case.
12. Grate the chilled pastry over the apples and bake the tart for 40 minutes.
13. Dust with icing sugar and serve hot.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!