8 oz (225 g) shortcrust pastry with 25 g (1 oz) desiccated coconut
1/3 cup (75 g) butter or block margarine
3/4 cup + 2 tbsp (175 g) caster sugar (superfine granulated)
3 eggs, separated
2 cups (225 g) plain flour (All purpose)
350 g (12 oz) cottage cheese, sieved
finely grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
1/2 oz (15 g) desiccated coconut
1. Roll out the pastry and use to line a 23-cm (9-inch) fluted flan dish. Cream the fat with 75 g (3 oz) of the sugar and heat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
2. Stir in the flour with the sieved cottage cheese and finely grated lemon rind.
3. Stir in 135 ml (9 tbsp) strained lemon juice, mixing until just smooth.
4. Pour the lemon mixture into the pastry case.
5. Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for about 20 minutes or until just set.
6. Stiffly whisk the egg whites; whisk in 15 ml (1 level tbsp) of the remaining sugar and fold in the rest.
7. Pipe or spoon the meringue over the lemon filling. Sprinkle with the coconut.
8. Bake in the oven at 150C (300°F) mark 2 for about 30 minutes.
9. Serve warm with pouring cream.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!