4 oz (100 g) shortcrust potato pastry
8 oz (225 g) cooked, sliced peaches
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
1/4 cup (4 tbsp) 50 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
2 medium egg yolks
1/3 cup (50 g) self raising (self rising) flour, sifted
4 oz (100 g) cooked, sieved potato
1 pinch salt
a little peach juice
2 egg whites
1/2 cup (8 tbsp) 100 g caster sugar (superfine granulated)
to make the pie
1. Line a flan ring or deep pie plate with the pastry and arrange the sliced peaches evenly over the bottom.
2. Beat together the butter, sugar, egg yolks and essence.
3. Fold in the sifted flour, potato and salt and add sufficient juice to make a soft consistency.
4. Pour this mixture evenly over the peaches and bake in the oven at gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C) for 30 minutes.
to make the meringue
1. Whisk the egg whites stiffly, whisk in half the sugar and fold in the remainder.
2. Cover the flan with the meringue and brown in the oven at gas mark 5, 375°F (190°C) for 10 minutes.
3. Serve hot or cold.