This is a good way to make something special out of liver. Oranges give both a piquant flavour to the dish and an attractive finish for serving.
Cooking oil and butter for frying
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed with 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 kg (1 lb) lamb's liver, sliced
Flour for coating
Freshly ground black pepper
400 ml (3/4 pint) chicken stock
2 tsp spoons dark soft brown sugar
2 oranges, peeled, pips removed and sliced into rings
2 tbsp snipped chives
1. Heat a spoon of oil and knob of butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently for 5 minutes or until golden.
2. Coat the liver in flour seasoned with black pepper to taste and add to the pan. Brown gently on all sides, then gradually stir in the chicken stock. Add the sugar and bring just to the boil, stirring constantly.
3. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes or until the juices from the liver run faintly pink when the liver is pricked with a fork.
4. Add the orange rings a few minutes before serving. Heat them through and adjust the sauce for seasoning. Transfer to a hot serving platter, arranging the oranges on the top.
5. Sprinkle with snipped chives and serve immediately.
6 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!