4 x 150 g (5 oz) venison leg steaks
5 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons apple vinegar
6 tablespoons dry red wine
3 juniper berries
1 teaspoon hot mustard
salt and freshly milled white pepper
100 g (4 oz) fresh pineapple, diced
100 g (4 oz) bottled morello cherries plus 1 tablespoon cherry juice
1. Remove any skin from the steaks. Beat 3 tablespoons of the oil with the vinegar, red wine, juniper berries and mustard and pour the mixture over the steaks in a bowl.
2. Cover the bowl and leave the steaks to marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, turning them from time to time.
3. Lift the venison out of the marinade and dry it, reserving 2 tablespoons of the marinade. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and fry the steaks for 5-6 minutes each side, seasoning each side to taste once cooked.
4. Remove from the pan and keep them hot in the oven.
5. Fry the diced pineapple in the fat in the pan. Slice the banana and add the slices to the pineapple with the cherries. Add the cherry juice and 1-2 tablespoons of the marinade, warm through over a low heat and pour the sauce over the steaks.
Serve with: buttered rice.