1. Remove the leaves from the turnips. Wash the pale inner leaves and keep them to one side. Thinly peel the turnips and wash them thoroughly.
2. Bring the water and a generous pinch of salt to the boil in a large saucepan. Add and boil the turnips for 40 minutes.
3. Butter an ovenproof dish. In a basin work the cream into the sausage meat.
4. Drain the turnips, allow them to cool slightly, then remove two-thirds of the centre with a sharp knife. Finely chop the removed turnip and mix it into the sausage meat.
5. Arrange the turnips in the dish, fill them with the sausage meat mixture, then sprinkle with cheese, dot with butter and surround with soured cream. Sprinkle the paprika over the top.
6. Brown in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Finely chop the turnip leaves and use to garnish the turnips.