4 legs of hare
2 sticks celery
250 ml (8 fl oz) water
6 - 8 small onions, peeled
2 black peppercorns, crushed
4 juniper berries, crushed
pinch of dried thyme
1/2 bay leaf
150 ml (1/4 pint) red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons oil
150 ml (1/4 pint) hot game stock
4 tablespoons dry red wine
150 ml (1/4 pint) soured cream
1. Wash, dry and trim the hare. Trim, wash and slice the carrots and celery. Peel and slice the tomatoes.
2. Bring the water to the boil in a saucepan with the crushed peppercorns and juniper berries, the thyme, bay leaf, vegetables and vinegar.
3. Allow the marinade to cool, pour it over the hare, cover the bowl and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 12 - 24 hours.
4. Dry the hare, strain the marinade into a saucepan and heat it through. Keep the vegetables to one side. Heat the oil in a casserole and brown the hare.
5. Add l50 ml (1/4 pint) hot marinade and braise the meat for 1 hour. Gradually pour in the stock and hot marinade and add the vegetables 10 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
6. Before serving, stir the red wine and soured cream into the sauce and season to taste.