Serve this creamy pate with Melba toast or brown bread and butter as a starter or as part of a salad lunch.
serves 4 to 6.
Unsalted butter for frying
225 g (1/2 lb) kipper fillets
225 g (1/2 lb) cream cheese
1/2 garlic clove, crushed
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Freshly ground black pepper
Lemon slices to garnish
1. Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan. Add the kipper fillets and cook gently for 10 minutes or until the fish is soft.
2. Remove the fillets from the pan and allow to cool slightly, then remove the skin and any large bones.
3. Put the kipper flesh in a bowl and mash with a fork. Beat in the cream cheese with a wooden spoon or pound it with a pestle.
4. Add the garlic, lemon juice, and pepper to taste, and continue beating until the pate is quite smooth.
5. Spoon the pate into a serving dish and smooth the top with the prongs of a fork. Sprinkle with more black pepper and garnish with twisted lemon slices.
21 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!