2 lb (900 g) potatoes, sliced
8 thick rashers of back bacon
8 large pork sausages
1.15 litres (2 1/4 pt) water
4 large onions, sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp chives, chopped
1. Put the bacon, sausages and water into a saucepan, bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Using a draining spoon, lift out the bacon and sausages and place in an ovenproof casserole dish, layering with slices of onion and potato.
3. Season each layer with salt, pepper, parsley and chives, finishing with a layer of potato.
4. Add sufficient of the water to almost cover the top layer of potato.
5. Put lid on casserole and cook in the oven Gas mark 3, 325°F (160°C) for 1 hour.
6. Remove the lid and allow to cook for a further 30 minutes, or until the top is nicely browned.