415 calories per serving (without cream)
50 g (2 oz) soft butter
100 g (4 oz) sugar
100 g (4 oz) plain chocolate
50 g (2 oz) ground almonds
100 g (4 oz) self raising flour
1. Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Separate the eggs. Beat the yolks into the sugar and butter to give a smooth, creamy mixture.
2. Break the chocolate into pieces and put the pieces in a bowl over a saucepan of hot water. Melt the chocolate over a low heat. Stir the melted chocolate, sifted flour and ground almonds into the creamy mixture to give a dropping consistency.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff, then fold them slowly into the mixture. Grease a 1.75-litre 3 pint pudding basin with butter and fill with the mixture.
4. Cover and stand the basin in gently boiling water to come two-thirds of the way up the basin. Boil for 2 1/4 hours. Alternatively, cook the sponge in a steamer.
5. Turn the chocolate sponge out on to a plate and serve it hot.
Serve with: semi-whipped cream generously flavoured with vanilla.
13 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!