Homemade Scotch eggs are really delicious served with a crisp green or tomato salad.
1/2 kg (1 lb). pork sausagemeat
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 tsp spoon dried mixed herbs
4 eggs, hard-boiled and shelled
Flour for coating
1 egg, beaten
Approx. 175 g (6 oz) dried breadcrumbs
Oil for deep-fat frying
1. Put the sausagemeat, onion and mixed herbs together in a bowl and mix well. Divide the mixture into four and press firmly around the hard-boiled eggs.
2. Roll in flour, then dip in the beaten egg. Coat with the breadcrumbs, making sure that the sausagemeat is evenly covered. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before frying.
3. Heat the oil gently in a deep-fat fryer until it is hot enough to turn a stale bread cube golden in 20 to 30 seconds (180-190°C/350-375°F on a deep-frying thermometer).
4. Fry the Scotch eggs two at a time for about 10 minutes until crisp and golden-brown. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and keep warm while frying the remaining two Scotch eggs. Drain.
5. Transfer to a hot serving platter and serve.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!