A very popular dessert, Chocolate mousse is rich and creamy, with just a hint of rum. It can be served in a large bowl with cream piped around the edge.
175 g (6 oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
2 tbsp strong black coffee
4 eggs, separated
1 tbsp rum
150 ml (1/4 pint) fresh double cream
1 tbsp grated chocolate
1. Put the chocolate pieces and coffee in a heatproof bowl over a pan of hot water and heat gently until the chocolate melts, stirring occasionally.
2. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Beat the egg yolks and gradually stir into the chocolate mixture. Stir in the rum. Beat the egg whites until stiff in a clean mixing bowl with an electric or rotary beater.
4. Carefully fold into the chocolate mixture until thoroughly combined.
5. Spoon into four individual glasses and chill in the refrigerator for several hours, preferably overnight.
6. Before serving, whip the cream until thick, then pipe a rosette of cream on each mousse. Sprinkle with the grated chocolate.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!