Pork or beef dripping for frying
1/2 kg (1 lb). pork or beef chipolatas
1 onion, peeled and sliced into rings
2 celery stalks, scrubbed and chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp spoons flour
300 ml (1/2 pint) medium-dry cider
150 ml (1/4 pint) beef stock
1 bouquet garni
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley to finish
1. Melt a knob of dripping in a flameproof casserole. Add the sausages and fry until browned on all sides.
2. Remove from the casserole and set aside. Put the vegetables into casserole and fry gently, stirring constantly, until lightly coloured. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Pour in the cider and stock, stir well and bring to the boil.
4. Lower the heat, return the sausages to the casserole and add the bouquet garni, and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the bouquet garni, taste for seasoning and sprinkle with chopped parsley.