1 lb (450 g) sweet potatoes, boiled with skins on, then peeled
1 cup (110 g) icing sugar (confectioners sugar), sifted
2 oz (50 g) candied peel (candied fruit), finely chopped
1/2 cup (50 g) 2 oz ground almonds
1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter, melted
2 large eggs
Sugar for dusting
1. Put the cooked potato through a ricer or vegetable mould.
2. Mix in the sugar, peel, almonds and butter.
3. Separate the eggs and stir in the beaten yolks.
4. Whisk whites until stiff and fold into the potato mixture. Add a little milk if too dry.
5. Pour into a greased 20 cm (8 in) sandwich tin and bake in the oven Gas mark 4, 350°F (180°C) until golden brown.
6. Dust over with sugar and serve either hot or cold with any fruit, chocolate or butterscotch sauce.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!