Preparation time 15 minutes,
Cooking time 35 minutes,
Oven temperature 220°C, 425°F, gas 7,
Total calories 1805
makes 1 loaf
450 g (1 lb) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
350 ml (12 fl oz) milk
flour to sprinkle
1. Grease a baking tray. Sift the flour, cream of tartar, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Add the milk and mix to a smooth soft dough.
2. Knead gently on a lightly floured surface, then shape into a round.
3. Place on the baking tray and mark the top quite deeply into four sections with a sharp knife.
4. Sprinkle with flour and bake in a hot oven for 35 minutes.
5. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Break into quarters and serve sliced, with butter if liked.
For a change, divide the dough into 8 pieces and make round rolls, cutting a cross in each. Bake at the same temperature as the loaf for about 15 minutes. Serve warm.
18 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!