100 g (4 oz) rindless rashers streaky bacon
450 g (1 lb) leg of pork
450 g (1 lb) braising beef
450 g (1 lb) white cabbage
350 g (12 oz) chanterelles or other mixed mushrooms
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 pinch dried thyme
3 tablespoons concentrated tomato puree
250 ml (8 fl oz) dry white wine
2 cloves garlic
salt and freshly milled white pepper
1. Cut the bacon and meat into small cubes. Finely chop the onions. Trim and wash the cabbage and tear it into fairly large
pieces. Trim and wash the mushrooms and cut larger ones in half.
2. Fry the bacon until crisp in a large, heavy-based saucepan or fireproof casserole, add the meat and onion and fry over a moderate heat, stirring continuously.
3. Add the cabbage, mushrooms, bay leaf, caraway seeds, thyme, tomato puree and wine. Squeeze the garlic into the stew through a garlic press. Add enough water to cover.
4. Cover the pan and simmer for about 1 hour 10 minutes, then adjust the seasoning.
5. Serve with: boiled potatoes or wholemeal bread.