Preparation time 25 minutes, plus 2 hours to rise and prove
Cooking time 15 - 25 minutes
Calories 205 per muffin
15 g (1/2 oz) dried yeast
1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
300 ml (1/2 pint) warm milk
1 egg, beaten
25 g (1 oz) butter, melted
450 g (1 lb) strong plain white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1. Flour two baking trays. Whisk together the yeast, sugar and half the milk in a jug. Leave in a warm place until frothy, about 10 minutes.
2. Mix the egg with the remaining milk and the butter. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the yeast and egg mixtures and mix to a soft dough. Turn on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
3. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
4. Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. Roll and stamp out 10 rounds with a 7.5 cm (3 in) plain cutter, re-rolling as necessary. Place on the floured trays, cover with cling film and leave to prove for 30 minutes.
5. Lightly grease a griddle or heavy frying pan. Cook the muffins a few at a time over a moderate heat for 5-8 minutes each side, until well risen. Leave to cool on a wire rack. Serve split and toasted with butter.
2 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!