for 8 servings:
75 g (3 oz) caster sugar
50 g (2 oz) plain flour
40 g (1 1/2 oz) butter, melted
25 g (1 oz) ground almonds
3 tbsp almond liqueur, optional
12 strawberries, halved
75 g (3 oz) blueberries
100 g (4 oz) seedless green grapes, halved
200 g (7 oz) can mandarin oranges
3 tbsp apricot jam
1. Preheat oven 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Grease a 23cm (9in) round cake tin and line the base.
2. Put eggs and sugar in a bowl over a pan of hot water and whisk until creamy. Remove from heat and beat until cool.
3. Using a metal spoon, gently fold the flour into the egg mixture. Fold in the melted butter and ground almonds. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 mins until risen and beginning to shrink from the sides of the tin.
4. Turn out and leave to cool. Sprinkle with almond liqueur, if using.
5. Arrange fruit on top of the sponge, placing the strawberries and the blueberries in the centre and the grapes and mandarins around the edge.
6 Put the jam and 2 tbsp cold water in a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until it boils. Simmer for 1 min. Sieve and brush over fruit. Allow jam to cool and set before serving.
If you use an electric mixer in Step 2 there is no need to heat the mixture.
23 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!