1. Remove giblets from wrapping and allow to thaw in a sieve placed over a bowl. Pour away any water that collects during the process.
2. Wash the giblets, put into a large saucepan with the water and salt. Bring to the boil. Turn down the heat so that the stock barely simmers. Skim off any scum that forms during the first 30 minutes.
3. Simmer gently for another hour, until the stock is reduced by half.
4. Meanwhile, wash the leek, removing the green part, and cut lengthwise into strips.
5. Scrape and wash the carrots and cut into rounds. Wash the celery tops and herbs, peel the onions and spike the bay leaf into it with the clove.
6. Add prepared vegetables and peppercorns to stock after it has simmered for the first hour and a half, cover the pan and simmer 30 minutes longer.
7. Put one egg yolk into each of 4 soup bowls. Pour the stock through a fine sieve or a piece of muslin.
8. If you wish to remove all fat from the stock it must be left to cool, then the solidified fat can be removed and the consomme reheated.
9. Pour the consomme over the egg yolk in each soup bowl and serve sprinkled with chives.