1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped finely
1 - 2 cloves garlic, crushed
350 g (12 oz) tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tsp tomato puree (paste)
2 tbsp water
300 - 350 g (10 1/2 - 12 oz) dried pasta shapes
90 g (3 oz) 3/4 cup lean bacon, derinded and diced
40 g (1 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or 1 tsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
2 tbsp soured cream or natural fromage frais (optional)
salt and pepper
1. To make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic gently until soft.
2. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree (paste), water and salt and pepper to taste to the mixture in the pan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 8 - 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain the pasta thoroughly and transfer to warm serving dishes.
4. Heat the bacon gently in a frying pan (skillet) until the fat runs, then add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 3 - 4 minutes. Drain off any excess oil.
5. Add the bacon and mushrooms to the tomato mixture, together with the parsley or coriander (cilantro) and the soured cream or fromage frais, if using. Reheat and serve with the pasta.
Sour cream contains 18 - 20% fat, so if you are following a low fat diet you can leave it out of this recipe or substitute a low-fat alternative.
15 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!