225 g (8 oz) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
175 g (6 oz) light muscovado sugar
225 g (8 oz) carrots, grated
2 pieces stem ginger in syrup, drained and chopped
25 g (1 oz) root (fresh) ginger, grated
60 g (2 oz) seedless raisins
2 medium eggs, beaten
3 tbsp corn oil
juice of 1 medium orange
225 g (8 oz) low-fat soft cheese
4 tbsp icing (confectioners') sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence (extract)
stem (fresh) ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/ Gas Mark 4. Grease and line a 20.5 cm (8 inch) round cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ground ginger and salt into a bowl. Stir in the sugar, carrots, stem ginger, root (fresh) ginger and raisins. Beat together the eggs, oil and orange juice, then pour into the bowl. Mix the ingredients together well.
3. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for 1 - 1 1/4 hours until firm to the touch, or until a skewer
inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
4. To make the frosting, place the soft . cheese in a bowl and beat to soften. Sift in the icing (confectioners') sugar and add the vanilla essence (extract). Mix well.
5. Remove the cake from the tin (pan) and smooth the frosting over the top. Decorate the cake and serve.
16 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!