Crumb crust Pastry is used for the base of cheesecakes, chilled tarts, ice-cream tarts and chilled chiffon mixtures.
Remember, Pastry is only as good as the flour you use. Don't buy cheap flour.
175 g (6 oz) biscuit crumbs (ie. digestive)
1/3 cup (75 g) butter or margarine, melted
1 - 2 tbsp sugar, or to taste
1. Place the biscuits in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade and process for 20 - 30 seconds until fine crumbs form. Alternatively, place them in a heavy-duty freezer bag and press into fine crumbs with a rolling pin.
2. Pour the breadcrumbs into a bowl and stir in the melted butter or margarine and sugar.
3. Pour into a flan tin and press crumbs on to the bottom and up the side of the flan tin or pie plate.
4. Chill, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) gas mark 5.
6. Bake the crust for 6 - 8 minutes until set.
7. Remove to a wire rack to cool. It must be completely cool before filling.
7 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!