1. Get the butcher to bone the beef. Chill the meat and cut it into 3-cm(1 1/2 in) thick slices. Thinly slice the bamboo shoots.
Boil the noodles in plenty of salted water for 12 minutes, drain, rinse in cold water, then drain the noodles once more.
2. Trim the spring onions and mushrooms and cut them in half.
3. Slice the onions. Trim the lettuce and cut it into 8 wedges.
4. Heat a little suet in a frying pan and fry a first batch of beef, adding a few drops of soy sauce and a little sugar and allowing the sugar to caramelize.
5. Add a few bamboo shoots, spring onions, mushrooms, onion slices, lettuce wedges and noodles, braise and then add some of the sherry. Cook the remaining portions in similar fashion.
Serve with: bread and beer or hot green tea.