Preparation time 40 minutes, plus 1 1/2 hours to rise and prove,
Cooking time 20-25 minutes,
Oven temperature220°C, 425°F, gas 7,
Calories 250 per bun
450 g (1 lb) strong plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
50 g (2 oz) butter
1 sachet easy-blend dried yeast
50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
100 g (4 oz) currants
50 g (2 oz) chopped mixed peel
150 ml (1/4 pint) warm milk
4 tablespoons warm water
1 egg, beaten
for the glaze
50 g (2 oz) granulated sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1. Sift the flour, salt and spices into a bowl. Rub in the butter. Stir in the yeast, sugar, currants and peel.
2. Make a well in centre and add the milk, water and egg. Mix to form a soft dough. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
3. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
4. Knock back the dough, then shape into 12 balls. Place well apart on greased baking trays and flatten slightly. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to prove for 30 minutes.
5. Remove cling film, slash a cross in each bun. Bake in a hot oven for 20 - 25 minutes.
6. Bring the sugar and milk to the boil, stirring. Brush over the buns. Cool on a wire rack.
Make the buns in advance and freeze them unglazed. When defrosted, put them in a hot oven for 2 - 3 minutes, then glaze them.
131 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!