1. Sift the flour on to a worktop and make a well in the centre. Sprinkle the seasoning and water into the well. Cut up the 75 g (3 oz) butter and scatter around the edge.
2. Mix these ingredients quickly together to make a dough and cut the dough into four equal portions.
3. Roll each piece to fit an individual flan dish, 8 - 10 cm (3 - 4 in). in diameter.
4. Lightly grease the cases and line them with pastry.
5. Finely dice the bacon, fry it for a few minutes, then sprinkle over the flan bases. Beat the eggs with the cream, seasoning to taste and add the cheese. Pour the mixture over the bacon. Dot each flan with a little butter.
6. Bake the flans on the middle shelf of a moderately hot oven (200°C, 400°F, gas 6) for 15 - 20 minutes. If they begin to brown too quickly, cover them with greaseproof paper.