Remember, Pastry is only as good as the flour you use. Don't buy cheap flour.
1 cup (1/4 lb) 125 g plain flour (bread flour)
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of dry mustard or cayenne pepper
2 tbsp (1 oz) 25 g butter
25 g (1 oz) lard
2 oz (50 g) chedder cheese finely grated
little beaten egg or water
1. Sift the flour and salt, mustard or cayenne, into a bowl. Add the fats.
2. Cut into the flour with a knife then rub in with your fingertips. The mixture should resemble fine breadcrumbs. Mix in the cheese.
3. Add a little egg or water, 15 - 30 ml (1 - 2 tbsp), stirring with a round-bladed knife until the ingredients begin to stick together in large lumps.
4. With one hand, collect the mixture together and knead very lightly for a few seconds to give a firm, smooth dough.
5. Roll out and use as required.
17 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!