300 g (10 oz) 2 cups polenta or cornmeal
1 tbsp coarse sea salt
1.25 litres (2 pints) 5 cups water
4 tbsp olive oil
2 kg (4 lb) rabbit joints (pieces)
3 garlic cloves, peeled
3 shallots, sliced
150 ml (1/4 pint) 2/3 cup red wine
1 carrot, sliced
1 celery stalk, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary
3 tomatoes, peeled and diced
90 g (3 oz) 1/2 cup pitted black olives
salt and pepper
1. Butter a large ovenproof dish. Mix the polenta, salt and water in a large saucepan, whisking well to prevent lumps forming. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes, stirring vigorously. Turn into the buttered dish and bake in a preheated oven, 190°C/375°F/ Gas Mark 5, for 40 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the rabbit pieces, garlic and shallots. Fry for 10 minutes until browned.
3. Stir in the wine and cook for a further 5 minutes.
4. Add the carrot, celery, bay leaves, rosemary, tomatoes, olives and 300 ml (1/2 pint) 1 1/4 cups water. Cover the pan and simmer for about 45 minutes until the rabbit is tender. Season to taste.
5. To serve, spoon or cut a portion of polenta and place on each serving plate. Top with a ladleful of stew.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!
Also see categories;Stews