makes about 15
175 g (6 oz) 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
75 g (3 oz) 1/3 cup caster sugar
15 ml (1 tbsp) ground cinnamon
2 egg whites
oil, for greasing
icing sugar, for dredging
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a large baking sheet with oil.
2. Mix together the ground almonds, sugar and cinnamon. Whisk the egg whites until they begin to stiffen and fold enough into the almonds to make a fairly firm mixture.
3. Wet your hands with cold water and roll small spoonfuls of the mixture into balls. Place these at
intervals on the baking sheet.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes in the centre of the oven. They should be slightly soft inside — too much cooking will make them hard and tough.
5. Slide a palette knife under the balls to release them from the baking sheet and leave to cool. Sift a few tablespoons of icing sugar on to a plate and when the cinnamon balls are cold slide them on to the plate. Shake gently to completely cover the cinnamon balls in sugar and store in an airtight container or in the freezer.
36 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!