serves 4 - 6
175 g (6 oz) wide egg noodles
225 g (8 oz) cottage cheese
115 g (4 oz) cream cheese
75 g (3 oz) caster sugar
120 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup soured cream
5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla essence
pinch of ground cinnamon
pinch of grated nutmeg
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) grated lemon rind
50 g (2 oz) butter
25 g (1 oz) nibbed almonds
25 g (1 oz) fine dried white breadcrumbs
icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease a shallow baking dish. Cook the noodles in a large saucepan of boiling water until just tender. Drain well.
2. Beat the cottage cheese, cream cheese and sugar together in a bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, and stir in the soured cream. Stir in the vanilla essence, cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon rind.
3. Fold the noodles into the cheese mixture. Spoon into the prepared baking dish and level the surface.
4. Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the almonds and fry for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
5. Stir in the breadcrumbs, mixing well. Sprinkle the mixture over the pudding. Bake for 30—40 minutes or until the mixture is set. Serve hot, dusted with a little icing sugar.