1 red pepper, seeded
2 garlic cloves
30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
5 ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
5 ml (1 tsp) chilli flakes
5 ml (1 tsp) ground ginger
5 ml (1 tsp) salt
2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) ground black pepper
75 g (3 oz) 1/3 cup light muscovado sugar
75 ml (5 tbsp) cider vinegar
1 handful of fresh basil leaves
1. Skewer each of the tomatoes in turn on a metal fork and hold in a gas flame for 1 - 2 minutes, turning until the skin splits and wrinkles. Slip off the skins, then roughly chop the tomatoes.
2. Roughly chop the onion, red pepper and garlic. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, red pepper and garlic.
3. Cook gently for 5-8 minutes, until the pepper is softened. Add the chopped tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes release their juices.
4. Stir in the cinnamon, chilli flakes, ginger, salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar. Bring gently to the boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
5. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the mixture is pulpy. Stir in the basil leaves and check the seasoning.
6. Allow the relish to cool completely, then transfer it to a glass jamjar or a plastic container with a tightly fitting lid. Store, covered, in the fridge.