2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 sticks celery, cut into thin sticks
2 carrots, cut into thin sticks
450 g (1 lb) large prawns
227 g (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained
227 g (8 oz) can pineapple pieces in natural juice
2 tbsp tomato ketchup
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
salt and pepper
1. To make sauce, drain pineapple juice from pineapple pieces and reserve.
2. Mix together tomato ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, cornflour and seasoning. Stir in to pineapple juice.
3. Heat half the oil in large frying pan or wok, add onions and stir fry for 2 - 3 mins. Add celery and carrots and stir fry for 2 mins. Set aside.
4. Heat remaining oil, add prawns and fry for 1 min. Pour in sauce and bring to boil, stirring until thickened.
5. Add chestnuts and pineapple and cook for 2 mins. Stir in onions, celery and carrot and cook for 1 min. Serve.
The secret of successful stir-frying is to cook the ingredients quickly over a high heat, in a small amount of oil. The pieces of food should be all the same size so that they cook evenly. Add them to the pan when the oil is hot, keep stirring and be sure not to overcook them.