50 g (2 oz) butter
1.5 kg (3 lb) chicken pieces
2 onions, halved and sliced
675 g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes, sliced
100 ml (4 fI oz) chicken stock
450 ml (3/4 pt) dry cider
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tsp fresh thyme chopped,
OR pinch dried thyme (optional)
2 tsp cornflour
parsley, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven. 170°C/325°F/gas 3. Melt half the butter in a flameproof casserole and fry the chicken pieces until golden. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the remaining butter to the casserole and saute the onions for 3 - 4 mins.
3. Add potatoes and cook for 3 - 4 mins.
4. Return chicken pieces to casserole and mix with vegetables. Add stock and cider.
5. Add bay leaves, salt, paprika and thyme, if using, and bring to the boil. Cover and
transfer to oven. Cook for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours until tender.
6. Remove chicken and vegetables and arrange in serving dish. Mix cornflour with a little water and add to juices in casserole. Bring to boil, stirring, until thickened.
7. Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
48 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!