2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
900g (2lb) top rump or chuck steak, cut into 12 large pieces
2 tbsp plain flour
600 ml (1 pt) beef stock
salt and pepper
100 g (4 oz) seedless white grapes, halved
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven. Heat oil in a large, ovenproof casserole dish. Add onions and garlic and fry until softened. Remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add meat and cook until browned. Remove from pan.
3. Add flour to casserole and blend with juices. Lower heat and gradually add stock, stirring continuously. Bring to boil, stirring, until thickened.
4. Return meat and onions to casserole, season, cover and cook over a very low heat for 2 1/2 hours.
5. Gently stir in grapes, top with herbs and serve.
If the onions soak up most of the oil while frying, add a little more to the casserole dish before browning the meat, to prevent it from sticking.