4 chicken portions or 8 drumsticks
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 - 3 drops Tabasco
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2.5 cm (1 in) piece fresh root ginger
1 tbsp vegetable oil
300 ml (1/2 pt) tomato juice
2 tsp cornflour
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven. Rub . chicken with salt. Mix together soy sauce, garlic, Tabasco and oil and brush over chicken. Put chicken pieces in a shallow ovenproof dish and bake for 30-50 mins.
2. Meanwhile, make sauce. Peel ginger and grate or chop finely.
3. Heat oil for sauce, add ginger and cook for 2 - 3 mins. Blend a little of the tomato juice with cornflour, then stir in remainder of juice. Add to pan.
4. Bring to boil, stirring continuously until thickened. Stir in vinegar and sugar.
5. Serve chicken portions with sauce poured over and accompanied by boiled rice.
For the best flavour, baste chicken with soy sauce glaze 1 -2 times during baking.