15 g (1/2 oz) 1 tbsp butter
1 garlic clove, crushed
3 spring onions (scallions), finely chopped
125 g (4 1/2 oz) 1/2 cup full-fat soft cheese
2 tbsp chopped mixed herbs, such as parsley, chives, marjoram, oregano and basil
175 g (6 oz) 1 1/2 cups finely grated mature (sharp) Cheddar cheese
4 - 6 slices of white bread from a medium-cut sliced loaf
mixed salad leaves (greens) and cherry tomatoes, to serve
1. Melt the butter in a small frying pan (skillet) and gently fry the garlic and spring onions (scallions) together for 3 - 4 minutes, until softened. Allow to cool.
2. Beat the soft cheese in a large mixing bowl until smooth, then add the garlic and spring onions (scallions). Stir in the herbs, mixing well.
3. Add the Cheddar and work the mixture together to form a stiff paste. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
4. To make the Melba toast, toast the slices of bread on both sides, and then cut off the crusts. Using a sharp bread knife, cut through the slices horizontally to make very thin slices. Cut into triangles and then lightly grill (broil) the untoasted sides until golden.
5. Arrange the mixed salad leaves (greens) on 4 serving plates with the cherry tomatoes. Pile the cheese pate on top and sprinkle with a little paprika. Garnish with sprigs of fresh herbs and serve with the Melba toast.
5 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!