Making these scones with mashed potato gives them a slightly different texture from traditional scones, but they are just as delicious.
250 g (8 oz) floury (mealy) potatoes, diced
125 g (4 1/2 oz) 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
50 g (1 3/4 oz) cup sultanas (golden raisins)
1 egg, beaten
50 ml (2 fl oz) 1/4 cup double (heavy) cream
2 tsp light brown sugar
1. Line and lightly grease a baking tray (cookie sheet).
2. Cook the diced potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain thoroughly and mash the potatoes.
3. Transfer the mashed potatoes to a large mixing bowl and stir in the flour, baking powder and grated nutmeg, mixing well to combine.
4. Stir in the sultanas (golden raisins), beaten egg and cream and then beat the mixture thoroughly with a spoon until completely smooth.
5. Shape the mixture into 8 rounds 2 cm (3/4 inch thick and put on the baking tray (cookie sheet).
6. Cook in a preheated oven, 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6, for about 15 minutes or until the scones have risen and are golden. Sprinkle with sugar and serve warm and spread with butter.
For extra convenience, make a batch of scones in advance and open-freeze them. Thaw thoroughly and warm in a moderate oven when ready to serve.
1 person has helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!