1 young fat goose, weighing approx. 3 kg (6 1/2 lbs)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml cranberry sauce with whole berries
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup dry red wine
1 tsp sugar
2 pinches each cinnamon and nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4.
2. Wash and dry goose, then rub well with salt and pepper.
3. Finely chop giblets.
4. Truss goose and lay breast down in roasting pan. Add giblets and 1 cup (8 fl oz) 250 ml boiling water, place on bottom shelf of oven and roast for 1 hour. Then turn over and prick legs in several places to allow fat to run out.
5. Roast goose for 1 hour longer, basting often with pan juices and adding more boiling water if necessary.
6. Skim fat off juices whenever possible.
7. After roasting goose for 2 hours, brush several times with cold salted water.
8. Bake until juices run clear when piercing thickest part of leg with skewer.
9. When done, switch off oven and leave goose in it for 20 minutes.
10. Mix cranberry sauce with red wine, sugar and spices. Deglaze roasting pan with boiling water; strain and combine with cranberry sauce.
11. Bring to the boil and season to taste.
Serve poured over goose.