It is very important to use only edible food colourings to tint the eggs.
Tap the shells very gently to avoid damaging the eggs.
Remember to put the eggs back in the same colour water.
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons each of green, red and blue food colourings
12 slices white or brown bread, crusts removed
butter, for spreading
2 - 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
. Heat the grill to high.
2. Put 2 eggs in each of 3 small saucepans and cover the eggs with water. Add 2 teaspoons of one of the food colourings to each pan and stir well. Bring the water to the boil and boil the eggs for 2 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toast the bread slices on one side only. Remove from the grill and butter the untoasted sides, then sprinkle generously with sesame seeds. Set aside.
4. Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon and, holding them in an oven glove, gently tap the shells all over with the back of a teaspoon, until they are cracked and crazed.
5. Return the eggs to their pans, bring back to the boil and boil for a further 1 - 2 minutes for soft eggs or 6-8 minutes for hard-boiled eggs.
6. Meanwhile, toast the sesame-
coated sides of the bread until golden brown. Cut the toast into fingers or small triangles.
7. Drain the eggs and rinse under cold running water, then carefully remove the shells. Serve at once, with the sesame seed toast.
122 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!