Artichokes are tricky to peel but if you parboil them first, it is much easier. If preferred, leave the skins on and scrub before cooking. They give a nutty flavour.
serves 4 - 6
1 kg (2 lb) Jerusalem artichokes
15 g (1/2 oz) margarine or butter
2 onions, chopped
600 ml (1 pint) milk
425 ml (3/4 pint) chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
chopped fresh parsley
1. Melt the margarine in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft and lightly coloured.
2. Add the artichokes to the pan, together with the milk, stock and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat slightly, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the artichokes are soft.
4. Leave to cool slightly, then work in a blender or food processor until smooth. Or work through a vegetable mill.
5. Return the soup to the rinsed-out pan and reheat gently. Taste and adjust seasoning, then pour into warmed individual soup bowls. Serve at once, garnished with chopped parsley.
3 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!