1 young turkey weighing 4 kg (9 lbs)
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2-2 tsp white pepper
1 bunch parsley
3/4 stick + 1 tbsp (3 1/2 oz) 100 g butter
6 slices bread
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup milk
2 tsp dried sage
1/2 chicken stock cube
1 tsp curry powder
750 ml (1 1/4 pt) 3 cups hot chicken stock
850 g (1 3/4 lbs) sweet potatoes, peeled
2 - 3 tbsp oil
2 rounded tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
1. Wash and dry turkey inside and out; wash and dry giblets. Rub inside with 2 tsp salt and 1/2 - 1 tsp pepper.
2. Wash, dry and chop parsley.
3. Cut lemon in half and rub juice well into outside of turkey.
4. Peel onions, then chop with liver.
5. Melt half the butter in pan and saute onions and liver with parsley. Cube bread and combine with onion and liver mixture, milk, eggs, sage, remaining pepper and salt and stock cube.
6. Preheat oven to 175°C (325°F) Gas Mark 3.
7. Stuff turkey with mixture and sew up openings, then truss.
8. Put turkey into roasting pan.
9. Melt remaining butter, stir in curry powder and brush bird all over with this mixture. Use some to grease piece of aluminium foil and place over turkey.
10. Put at bottom of oven and roast for 3 - 3 1/2 hours.
12. At end of 1 1/2 hours, add gizzard, heart and neck to pan, pour on a little hot stock, just enough to keep moistened, and baste turkey frequently with cooking juices.
13. Test to see if done after 3 hours by piercing thickest part of leg with skewer. The juices will run clear when turkey is cooked.
14. When done, remove turkey from oven and allow to stand, covered with foil.
15. Turn oven up to 220°c (425°F) Gas Mark 7.
16. Parboil sweet potatoes, then put into ovenproof dish, sprinkle with oil and sugar and bake in centre of oven for 20 minutes until well browned.
17. Carve turkey and arrange on warm meat dish with sweet potatoes. Keep warm in oven after it has been switched off.
18. Pour off fat from roasting pan. Discard gizzard, but chop heart and meat from neck finely.
19. Deglaze roasting pan with remaining stock, pour into small saucepan and bring to boil.
20. Add finely chopped meat. Mix cornflour to paste with 2 tbsp water and thicken sauce with this.
21. Taste for seasoning and serve with turkey.
Additional accompaniments are cranberry sauce and buttered green peas.