800 g (1 3/4 lbs) boned turkey thighs
1 bay leaf
500 - 750 ml (3/4 - 1 1/4 pts) 2-3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
125 ml (4 fl oz) 1/2 cup double/thick) cream
1 tbsp creamed horseradish
2 tbsp grated fresh horseradish, optional
1. Wash and dry meat. Peel onion and use the cloves to spike the bay leaf onto it.
2. Bring water to the boil. Add salt, onion and turkey; simmer for 45 minutes. Skim off any scum that forms during the first 20 minutes.
3. Scrape, wash and slice carrots thickly. Remove root end and dark green leaves from leeks, split in two lengthwise before washing thoroughly, and chop into 2 cm (3/4 in) pieces.
4. When turkey has been cooking for 20 minutes, add prepared vegetables and continue to cook in covered pan.
5. Whip cream lightly and stir in creamed horseradish. "Arrange meat and vegetables in a tureen, discarding onion and sprinkle with grated horseradish, if used.
6. Serve horseradish cream separately.