This savory baked rice pudding would be cooked like a kugei along with the Sabbath stew. It is kosher for Passover for Sephardic Jews only.
serves 6 to 8
4 tablespoons chicken fat or shortening
2 onions, chopped
3 cups cooked long-grain rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
meat, can be slow-cooked for Sabbath
1. Melt the fat in a large skillet set over high heat and saute the onions until they are golden. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 250°F. Lightly grease a 1-quart baking dish.
3. Place rice in a large bowl. Stir in the onions and cooking fat.
4. Add the salt, pepper, and beaten eggs and mix well.
5. Transfer mixture to the baking dish, and cover tightly with foil.
6. Bake overnight, then serve for Sabbath lunch.
51 people have helped to review this recipe. Thankyou!